Colorado  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/24/09, 1:26 pm


I will apply for citizinship in few months. I attended a class about that and figured out that I did register and vote by mistake.The DMV made this mistake, where they registered me as a voter although I am not?. What can I do and what to say on the application asking these questions.

I didn't apply but I am asking what to do and what I should say on my application to be correct?. I did contact my county to ask them if they can cancel my registration because I voted twice by mistake and this was 4 years ago after my registration by 3 years.. Thanks

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/26/09, 12:05 am by Isabella Mayzel, Esq.

Re: N-400

The law says the following: as a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Isabella Mayzel 468 Morris Avenue Springfield, NJ 07081

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search