Florida  |  Immigration Law

Immigration law question...

I am a US citizen in good standing e.g. an honorably discharged veteran, no criminal record. My girl friend is a Philippine national. She is a lovely person with an impeccable record as well. We met in Canada. She has recently been granted permanent residency status in Canada. She has been working there as a Caregiver for about three years.

Can she get just a regular tourist Visa that allows her to come to the USA to visit me? What is the longest that she can stay here? For example, can she stay for 5 years and then re-apply? Or 10 years and re-apply? Can she somehow apply for permanent residency here in the USA as a Caregiver?

Thank you.

Answered on: 12/06/11, 10:22 am by Rebecca White

US immigration law can be somewhat narrow. If she is an RN she may have the option to pursue employment based immigration, or if she can find another suitable employment alternative. She may also be able to obtain enter the US as a visitor. However, for any sort of long term stay that is not employment based, dating a US citizen is going to work against her.. unless the two of you were to decide to marry.

Law Office of Rebecca White Seattle, WA 98154