Georgia  |  Business Law

I have a vehicle that I'm in the process of buying from a friend but the engine is blown he has a contract that states that i would be purchasing the car as is. If I stopped paying what would happen$

Answered on: 7/01/13, 8:44 am by Scott Riddle

You might be sued.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 7/01/13, 10:13 am by Robert Gardner

As is means that there is no warranty by him that the vehicle is in good condition, so if it is not, that is your problem rather than being his. If you stop paying, he has the right to enforce the contract. The only recourse he has would be if you could prove that he knew about the engine problem before the sale, which could amount to fraud. However, this would be your burden to prove. The best bet, since this is a friend, is to see if you can work out a way to offset the amount you owe him by the amount it will take to fix the vehicle, or see if he will meet you half way.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680