Legal Question in Immigration Law in Georgia

We're trying to determine if we'll be able to file family based AOS by the end of the month as a tax return question arose for i-864 form.

My petitioner will need to file a late tax return for 2010 in order to file i-864. The form instructions as I see suggest that in case late tax filing is needed, we need to send an IRS generated tax return transcript documenting the late filing. Such transcript takes quite a bit of time to obtain as we need to wait for the IRS to process the return.

Would it be acceptable to attach a letter from a CPA stating that the return was filed as evidence with copy of the filed return instead?

Thanks.

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

The I-864 only requires that the most recent tax return be submitted. Submitting 3 years of tax returns is voluntary, unless you receive a Request For Evidence stating otherwise. If that happens, other evidence could arguably be submitted in its place, if necessary.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Georgia

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA