Georgia  |  Product Liability

My son was riding his new bicycle on the sidewalk when the front wheel fell off and he flew over the handlebars. He suffered injuries and had to drop out of most of his activities. Do we have any legal rights?

Answered on: 7/22/13, 8:22 pm by Glen Ashman

It depends on why the bicycle fell apart. If you assembled it, then you're probably to blame, unless another defect caused it, and you'd have no case as you cannot sue yourself. If someone else assembled it improperly, or it came apart due to a defect, you need a lawyer.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 7/23/13, 7:39 am by Robert Gardner

I agree with Mr. Ashman. Product liability cases are extremely technical and turn on many factors. Unless you can prove a defect in the design or manufacture which renders the product unsafe regardless of how it is assembled, you may not have a case. Therefore, if you think the failure is the result of a manufacture or design defect, see an attorney about having the bike examined asap to see if you have a case.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680