Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

I have been married for many years and most of our real property has been purchased in my husband's name. We have done a will and in the will he leaves the house to me . However, because we have only been in our home 6 years, there is still a mortgage involved. If he passes away, the house will be paid off, but how will I get the deed in my name. I thought of doing a writ of survivorship, but did not know if that would be enough. What steps do I need to take to ensure that I get to keep my house if he passes away.

Asked on 8/02/13, 9:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to sit down with a lawyer and determine if it is more advantagous to change the deed now to avoid probate or to deal with things in probate down the road. There are pros and cons to each that should be discussed with a lawyer and should have been discussed by te lawyer who wrote your will.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/13, 9:30 am
Robert Thompson J. Robert Thompson Attorney
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

IN amplification of Mr. Ashman's answer, if you choose to let matters stay as they are, you will need to probate your husband's will, and the executor will have to execute and file an "executor's deed of assent" to carry out the transfer of the house to you. Since the mortgage will be paid off at his death, there should be no difficulties with the mortgage holder; but the mortgage should be paid before the deed of assent is filed.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/13, 10:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now