Legal Question in Tax Law in Georgia

I had some IRS penalties from a prior business. When my wife and I filed our tax return, the IRS took away our refund and applied towards that outstanding amount. Can the IRS take away my wife's refund? She did not have anything to do with outstanding amount.

Asked on 6/18/12, 10:12 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably, but since no one here has your returns or know the other facts, such as who had the withholding, it is impossible to tell you the answer. Qualified advice before the returns were filed may have avoided this problem (through the filing of separate returns).

Read more
Answered on 6/18/12, 10:19 am
Robert Thompson J. Robert Thompson Attorney
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you filed jointly, yes they can. The solution is to file separately, but this often increases the taxes for the current year. You should calculate your taxes both ways, to see which way leaves the two of you better off.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/12, 11:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now