Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Illinois

I was sued by a person that had a lawyer in civil court, I paid a lawyer to represent me then he quit on me in the middle of the suit, can I legally represent myself on my next court date.

Asked on 4/10/13, 9:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can always represent yourself but first the attorney, if he or she was "of record" needs to move to withdraw, and then you are ordinarily given time to secure alternate counsel. Talk to the judge and by all means ask for a continuance. However, if the attorney already withdrew "of record" by motion, and the court gave you time to get an attorney and have not, you can ask for more time (may or may not be allowed) or represent yourself. If you felt you needed representation in the beginning, I don't understand why you'd think you can or should represent yourself now.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/13, 11:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now