Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/23/09, 11:46 am

Child wants to live with non-custodial parent

My 16 yr old wants to move with the non-custodial and the custodial is not in aggreement. At what age can the child make the choice to be with either parent?

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/23/09, 12:35 pm by Zedrick Braden III

Re: Child wants to live with non-custodial parent

Hello. Any change of custody should be done through the court. Technically, it is not the child's decision to make, until he or she reaches the age of majority which is age 18. However, at age 16 a judge may consider the wishes of your child in making a decision. The standard used by Illinois courts in reaching custody decisions is the best interest of the child. Will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ainsworth & Associates PC 203 North LaSalle, Suite 2100 Chicago, IL 60601

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search