Illinois  |  Family Law

Income Tax

My spouse and are seriously considering divorce. She has filed her income tax this year as Married filing seperately without my knowledge. She has also claimed the mortage interest paid and both children. Both of our names are on the mortage, however due to her higher salary she pays that and my check goes to other household expenses. Should I take her to court? She also refuses to give me a copy of her tax return, am I entitled to see it to insure I don't claim anything she already has? Should I just file and let the IRS solve it?

Answered on: 2/22/09, 7:03 pm by John Steele

Re: Income Tax

two cannot even agree to how taxes should be filed, and she will not let you see her return, it doesn't sound like there is much of a marriage left. If you get a divorce, the issues you mentioned will be written out and in written order for all parties to follow. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steele Law Firm 161 N. Clark Street, Suite 3200 Chicago, IL 60601