Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I live in Illinois with my son. His father wants me to send him to New York for a visit is there anyway he can not send him home and keep him out there.

Asked on 6/11/13, 9:46 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Conor Malloy Malloy Law, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He could always keep the child there. But of course he would be breaking the law.

Read more
6/11/13, 9:50 am
Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless you have an order of custody and a visitation order, you are opening yourself up to him not returning the child. Is Dad on the birth certificate. Is he paying support? Is there a order granting you your son's custody or giving you joint custody. Without those, I would be hesitant in sending the child out of state.

Read more
6/11/13, 9:56 am
Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Do not send him unless there is a court order directing you to do that and requiring him to return the child by a date certain. He can and most likely will keep the child. If he wants to visit, he should come to your location. You should also perfect your custody of the child and ask the court to set a visitation and support order.

Read more
6/11/13, 10:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now