Illinois  |  Civil Litigation

I recently found a stray dog and took it into my home i was curious to know what steps would i legally need to take so after a period of time with no one claiming the i could assume it as mine

Answered on: 8/27/13, 5:00 am by Betty Tsamis

First and foremost, this dog might be someone's family member. Please take the dog to a local vet and have him scanned for a chip. I am assuming he doesn't have tags? You should also consider taking him to the local humane society to give whoever lost him a chance to fi d him. If you are interested in adopting him if the family does not claim him, the humane society will tell you how to do this.

Tsamis Law Firm PC 1509 W. Berwyn, 201E Chicago, IL 60640

Answered on: 8/31/13, 10:49 pm by Nima Taradji

First find out whether the dog has a chip under his skin--any vet and/or the humane society have a chip reader and can find that out. If so, then the name of the owner and/or a lead to finding the owner will appear.

If no chip, and no collar, then under the law, animals are considered property and so finding an animal is like finding a property.

I hope this helps-

Taradji Law Offices 120 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2800 Chicago, IL 60602