Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

1) If someone (residing outside USA) already has USA visit visa and then gets sponsored for green card under family based petition, will he be allowed to enter USA on the visit visa while green card application is pending?

2) Also if he gets a job in USA with an employer who is willing to sponsor him for H1, while green card application is still pending, will he be allowed to apply for H1 visa and come to USA? Thank You

Asked on 9/14/13, 8:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It depends on which category the I-130 is filed under & how long the backlog is. Generally, if it is not an "immediate relative", then the sponsored immigrant could potentially still visit the U.S. on a B-2 visa, but they could not remain in the U.S. to adjust status.

If the sponsored immigrant gets an approved H-1B, then s/he can enter on the H-1B, since H-1B non-immigrants are permitted to have immigrant intent.

Read more
Answered on 9/16/13, 10:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now