Illinois  |  Employment Law

Employment Law

I was recently terminated from my position of nearly 3 years. The reason for my termination was listed ''Lost confidence in abililty to fullfill expectations of the job'' but cited no specific time/date examples of infractions. 60 days prior to termination, I was rated a ''meets expectations'' on an annual review, and did not recieve any verbal or written warnings between that time, and the time of termination. I am still unclear as to what i was terminated for, and HR department will not clarify specific reasons. Do I have reason to believe I have been wrongfully terminated?

Answered on: 1/04/09, 3:30 pm by Motty Stone

Re: Employment Law

Unless you are protected by a special employment agreement or a collective bargaining agreement, you can be fired for pretty much anything other than sexual harassment or discrimination. That's why Illinois is referred to as an "at will" employment state - you and your employer can both back out "at will."

Good luck...

Law Offices of Motty Stone 6207 N Sacramento Ave Chicago, IL 60659