Kansas  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/20/12, 1:38 am

if you were in a realationship with a minor for 2 years and the parent of the minor knew about it and approved in the begging. could the parent still press statutory rape charges 2 years later?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/20/12, 1:25 pm by Jay Ramey

First of all, no parents nor any other private person can "press charges." Only the State can file charges by typing up an information and filing it with the court clerk. The parents could certainly make a police report and be within the statute of limitations for indecent liberties with a child and rape. There is no crime in Kansas called Statutory Rape.

However, being "in a relationship" with a "minor" is not illegal. Not sure what you mean "in a relationship" and "minor." In Kansas, consensual SEX with a girl 13 and under is Rape. Consensual sex with a girl that 14 or 15 in Indecent Liberties. And consensual sex with a girl 16 or older is not a crime in Kansas.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Jay K. Ramey, Attorney at Law 1408 S. Denver Ave. Tulsa, OK 74119

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search