Legal Question in Elder Law in Kansas

I am power of attorney for my elderly mother. When I drew up the powers, I thought it made sense to exclude being able to make gifts to myself. Since then, I have realized that all of my mother's assets will eventually go to pay her room and board in a nursing home. I would like to 'gift out' some of the assets to prevent this. Is there a way to name myself as one of the gift beneficiaries without amending the power of attorney?

Asked on 7/28/13, 10:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the POA appointment specifically forbids gifts to you, you cannot lawfully gift any of her assets to yourself. If The appointment merely doesn't enumerate the power to transfer assets to you, you might e able to transfer some assets. I suggest you have an elder law attorney look at your documents.

Good luck

Read more
7/29/13, 5:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Kansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

8661 active attorneys ready to answer your legal qustions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessHuntington Beach, CA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now