Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Notifying a sex offender of whereabouts of his children?

My ex-husband recently called my sister looking for me and his children. We were divorced in Kansas in 1996, he still lives there. We have 2 children together. I am currently living in Florida but move often for my job. I divorced my husband while he was in prison, where I sent him for molesting my 2 daughters from a previous marriage. In the divorce, I was given ''sole custody'' and he was to have no visitation rights while he was in prison. There was a clause that said he could petition for supervised visitation after he was released (which he has been for about 3 years now).He said I was supposed to tell him where I was going if I left the state of Kansas. I read over my divorce papers again and they do infact say that. However, I have not even enforced the child support that he is supposed to pay because I dont want him to know where we are. The judge even changed my kids' surnames with the divorce. I don't feel that it is in their best interest to have any contact with him. I am not trying to be vindictive. Do I have to tell him where I am? Can I safely ignore this? What would you recommend ? I am scared to tell him, and now I am scared not to. I don't want to lose custody of my children or be held in comtempt of court.

Bonnie Selby Bonnie J. Selby, Attorney at Law

Re: Notifying a sex offender of whereabouts of his children?

If you do not have an attorney to assist you, I would advise that you get one. . .short of that, contact the Judge who issued the order and request his suggestion of how you might handle this.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas