Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

The host of a house poker game that was held among friends and acquaintances owes me hundreds of dollars. Unknown to participants, the host himself shortchanged the cash pool because he played with hundreds of dollars worth of chips without paying.I ended up being the one who didn't receive all of my money after cashing out when the game was over. He verbally stated and texted that he was going to pay me at a later date. We negotiated that I was to be paid within a month. It's been 2 months, and after many saved text conversations stating he had the cash I was owed, I have yet to be repaid and he continues to dodge me. Many states home poker laws deem that everyone must a fair chance at winning. He not only violated this aspect but also stole from me, by withholding the earnings that I amassed from all of the players throughout the night with my investment of $100 (buy-in). I am considering filing a small claim. The kicker is, that the bill that made home poker legal in my state has expired, and not been renewed..Am I legally entitled to the money owed to me in any way, and would filing a claim be a waste of time?

Asked on 9/22/13, 7:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This debt is completely unenforceable as a matter of law, as a gambling debt. While the host has committed a crime (or more than one crime, perhaps), so have you, so the law leaves you without a civil remedy.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 7:17 am
Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have no court remedy in Maryland where such games are illegal.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 2:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now