Maryland  |  Real Estate Law

I just bought a house with a shared driveway that completely belongs to but it allows the people living in the house next me access to the back of their house where they park but unlike everyone else who chooses to park in front of their homes like normal people but they have no driveway in front just a large front yard nothing stopping them from driving on that or adding a driveway of their own and accessing the road I also want to add a fence on my property line they also seem to have a problem with that we'll I have pets and young children I want to protect neighbors have teenagers who smoke drugs at nite in my driveway and when their drunk and high like to wander onto my property lately things have been stolen, strange vehicles at nite i just bought house already sick of it this is adding to my nightmare bought it as is from a little old devilish lady who owns the house next to mine with the tenants who have the pot head's a round/ rental unit I really need help if any one would like to call me I am very normal down to earth not an asshole by any means just wanted my first home to be what me and family thought it should be are dream thanks Robert upper Marlboro Maryland 2405089138 vrj0909@gmail.com god bless

Answered on: 10/03/13, 5:50 am by Robert Sher

If a prior owner of your property made an agreement, known as an easement, with the adjoining property owners that allowed them use of the driveway, they are entitled to that use within the terms of that agreement. That certainly doesn't give them the right to come on to your property and cause damage. You could certainly put up a fence on your side of the driveway if that is feasible and conforms to code. I suggest you do a web search or contact the Prince George's County Bar Association for a referral to an attorney who handles these kinds of cases who can advise you on your rights and the feasibility of legal action.

Wagshal and Sher 4824 Edgemoor Lane Bethesda, MD 20814