Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

My sister no longer "wants" her daughter. The father has long ago signed over sole custody to her, so she is currently the only legal guardian. How would I go about obtaining custody of niece? Would it be necessary for me to go through an adoption process?

Miles Murphy Plachta, Murphy & Associates, P.C.

There is a process to go through when getting custody of a child. If the mother wants to sign over her rights to you, going through the “adoption” phase would not be necessary, rather, there is certain paperwork that will have to be filled out with the Court. You can fill out paperwork for temporary guardianship or if you want to go for the full guardianship then this will have to be done through the court system. I would suggest calling Sherry from our firm to schedule a office consultation to help you fill out the right paperwork.

Respectfully,

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan