Minnesota  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Roommate just packed up and left. The lease does not expire till the first of September. He didnt pay August rent. Do i have the right to take him to court or do i just have to pay his share and his late fees. I have the lease document. Where he signed and agreed to all terms,

Answered on: 8/20/13, 2:23 pm by Tricia Dwyer

Hello. You may have a private attorney advise you in detail. The attorney will want to view the wording of your lease, of course. You have your contractual agreement with your landlord. You separately now have your issue with your roommate. Sometimes, with attorney help, a tenant will form a written agreement with the landlord that contains a clause so that one tenant is not liable for a roommates portion of the rent. You may contact me, if you wish. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666

DWYER.TRICIA@GMAIL.COM

HTTP://DWYERLAWFIRM.NET

LANDLORD TENANT LAW

LAWSUITS - DISPUTES

CIVIL LAW

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404