Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Missouri

My landlord and I are going through an eviction process., he wants to come to an agreement and have me sign legal documents putting me on a payment schedule for owed rent, f I miss a payment, can I go to jail?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You will not go to jail for missing a payment. The agreement you and your landlord are contemplating is a civil matter. People are only sentenced to jail for criminal matters. But, there are occasions where someone who refuses to follow a Judge's Order as to a civil matter (like not show up for a hearing) can be the subject of an arrest warrant or body attachment Order, wherein you could be arrested and have to post a bond to get out. So, not making a payment, won't land you in jail. Disobeying a Judge's Order might.

Good luck

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Missouri

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms