Missouri  |  Real Estate Law

I am the owner of a rental property in Saint Robert, MO. I am in the military and currently stationed in NY. The management company I entered into a 1 year agreement with is not holding up their end of the contract. I have family in the Saint Robert area that are willing to take care of the property for anything I can't handle from NY. The management company is not providing monthly statements, having unneccesarry work done on the property (without prior approval# and did not notify me that the current tenant was going to break his lease #all of these are a breach of or agreement). If I want to disolve this agreement., what do I need to do?

Answered on: 8/12/13, 12:17 pm by Anthony Smith

There are several steps, to terminate the contract, and minimize your liability. The first is to formally declare their actions (or inaction) as a breach that allows you to so paying them and to replace them. You will also need to inform the management company and the tenant(s) that someone else (named relative) will be acting as agent for the owner (you). The facts if each matter alter the steps to be taken, and their order. Therefore, you need to seek advice from a Missouri attorney that has access to more of the facts, then you could provide here.

Good luck

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Answered on: 8/12/13, 5:26 pm by Michael R. Nack

I agree with the first response. An attorney will need to review the contract and gather all of the facts. Bit it does seem as if you can sue for breach of contract. You may need a Power of Attorney authorizing a family member to act in your place.

Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law 200 South Bemiston (307) St. Louis, MO 63105