New Jersey  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/22/05, 1:12 am

Reversing or Undoing an Adoption

I was adopted at about one by my mother's second husband. He abandoned us several years later. I have grown up with his name. He never fathered any male children so I carrying on his family name and I don't want to. I would like to find a way to regain my ''birthright''. I have met my natural father and he is not against this. I can also locate my adopted father (although) I have not been in touch with him in over 25 years at all, and I don't believe he would oppose this. Is there any legal way to get this accomplished. How about if my natural father adopted me? I am 47. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/22/05, 3:37 pm by Fran Brochstein

Re: Reversing or Undoing an Adoption

You are an adult and can do a name change.

Since you are an adult, you can be adopted by anyone you want without contacting your "father."

Best of luck,

Fran Brochstein

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator 8978 Kirby Drive Houston, TX 77054

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search