New Mexico  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/12/13, 10:12 am

Can a portion of an inheritance pass from one legally separated spouse to the other without incurring a tax burden on the other?

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/15/13, 2:41 am by George Chandler

You should ask this question of a tax attorney or accountant. My guess is that the one giving part of his/her inheritance to the other would incur a gift tax burden (that could be credited against his/her lifetime gift tax credit) - but this is a rather arcane field, so ask a tax attorney or accountant.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

George Chandler Law 1208 9th Street Los Alamos, NM 87544

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search