Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Mexico

Hi! In a fight stronger than usually with my husband, I called the police and he was arrested and spent 2 days on jail he paid a bail to get out, but the New Mexico State put charges on him for:" Battery against a household member", which were dismissed latter without prejudice. I got an restraining order from the courthouse too, for death threat and attempt to rape but he never punched me. Later on we reconciled and ask the court to dismiss the restraining order and they did, but before we accomplished a couple counseling. The thing is that his permanent resident card is about to expire (he have been permanent resident for almost 20 years and never had problems before) I'm worried if he will have problems to renew. or if when the immigration service take his finger prints will appear a record of the incident. Thank you, very much!

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Any prior arrests or convictions could affect a person's ability to renew their greencard. It just depends on what the person's criminal background looks like.

However, if there is a history of violence in your relationship, I would recommend that you seek counseling & re-think this relationship.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Mexico