New York  |  Bankruptcy

I will be filing a chapter 7 as soon as i have the money i need for an attorney.The monies I owe are credit card related in my name only, not my husbands. I lost my business three years ago due to fire damage, no insurance! I have not worked since and have tried to keep up with payments, could not due it. Husband couldn't,help any longer.My question is If after I go through bankruptcy and it's finished, and we sell our house because of divorce and I get my share, will that have any effect on my finished chapter 7? Thank you.

Answered on: 4/21/13, 8:01 pm by Nancy Delain

The definitive answer to your question is "It depends." Don't you just love lawyers?

Yours is a much longer and more complex issue than can be reasonably addressed in this forum. It is definitely a question you need to discuss (at some length) with your attorney. There are lots and lots of variables, any one of which can affect the outcome of this analysis.

THIS POST CONTAINS GENERAL INFORMATION AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. FOR LEGAL ADVICE ON YOUR PARTICULAR MATTER, CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY.

Delain Law Office, PLLC 107 N. College St. Schenectady, NY 12305