New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/19/10, 7:06 pm

I am an american citizen & my wife is a Canadian citizen with a perminent residence card, living in New York. If we get divorced will she be able to move our two childern back to Canada?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/24/10, 7:39 pm by Carol Ryder

I am assuming you live in NY state.

It is tough to move kids so far from the other parent/marital residence. Her divorce lawyer would have to prove some fairly bad things about you and/or that she has a great economic opportunity there. Your lawyer will argue against it, citing the law, hopefully you get joint custody, that the kids are American citizens used to living in XXX county and lots more the attorney will argue for to prove the kids need to stay where they are used to and that ou cannot visit them regularly in Canada and anyway, joint custody won't work if they are in Canada.

I don't see it happening, especially if you get joint custody.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Carol Ryder PC, Of Counsel Sarisohn Law Partners 350 Veterans Memorial Highway Commack, NY 11725

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search