Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

To whom may I concern:

My boyfriend and I are planning on our wedding. Im a USA citizen and he is an Italian citizen. We decided to live in the USA and in order for him to get his green card there is a long process. I believe according to my research we have almost eveything to go thru this process except that one citation says:

"The form (I-864) fills out to prove the couple has enough money to support the immigrant spouse". Currently i don't have an stable income but we have the support of our families.

Can a relative be our guarantor? If so, how much does the minimum income of the relative should be?

Does the relative has to be a USA citizen?

During this immigration process can he still come visit me with his current tourist visa (ESTA visa)?

Asked on 7/15/13, 4:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The joint-sponsor can be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

The minimum income requirement can be found here, and depends upon the size of the household:

You may find general information on the Affidavit of Support here:

His entry into the U.S. during this process will depend upon showing sufficient ties to his home country.

You may also contact me for a free consultation at:

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 4:41 am
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A relative can be a joint-sponsor (guarantor) and should be a Permanent Resident or a US citizen. Please contact my office for any further free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now