New York  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/18/13, 1:20 pm

My husband and I are preparing a will. We plan to divide a sizable estate equally between our two daughters. We wondered if there is a way to assure that each daughter will retain all of her inheritance in the event of a divorce.

2 Answers

Answered on: 6/18/13, 1:31 pm by Daniel Scott

Your Will does not control the asset division of your daughters in a divorce. However, if your daughter live in New York State, then the inheritance would be protected. New York State is an Equitable Distribution state which means that the inheritance the daughters receive would remain their Separate Property and not be divided in a divorce.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Daniel U. Scott, Esq. 70 Niagara St, Ste. 611 Buffalo, NY 14202

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 6/18/13, 2:30 pm by Kevin Pollock

If you wish to protect your children's inheritance from their spouses or future spouses, the best way to do so is by giving your children their inheritance in trust, not outright. There are many types of trust, so you should consult with a knowledgeable estate planning attorney who can help you decide what is best for you and your children. However, to give you something to think about, many wealthy clients set up dynasty trusts for their children (which means they keep it in trust forever). Others simply make most if it payable when the children are much older and through their first divorce or two.

The other thing to remember is that you many have significant assets in which you have named your children as beneficiary (life insurance, IRA and 401(k)). These would not be protected unless you set up special trusts to deal with those assets.

Finally, although an inheritance is not subject to equitable distribution if your child keeps the money in his or her own name, many people who inherit money co-mingle it, making it subject to equitable distribution. Morever, if it is not in a trust, it will be looked at for purposes of alimony and child support.

Hope that helps.


Kevin A. Pollock, J.D., LL.M.

P: (609) 818-1555

Licensed to practice law in Florida, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

Also, visit my blogs at:


The foregoing is offered for informational purposes only and is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. To indicate that you have read the answer it would be appreciated if you would check either the thumbs up or thumbs down box below. Circular 230 Disclosure: Any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Kevin A. Pollock LLC 112 West Franklin Avenue Pennington, NJ 08534

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search