North Carolina  |  Business Law

I paid about $20,000 to my host family for hosting me for 10 months. It has been more than a month right now, and I asked her I want to change my host family. She said, she cannot refund the rest of money. But she did not say it before or when I paid her money. If she had mentioned that before I paid, I would not say anything about that, but she did not say anything about refunding and now she is; saying that she cannot refund the money. Is her action legal? How can I get my rest of money back?

Answered on: 10/11/11, 10:49 am by Gregory Kash

This is essentially a contract issue. Is there a written agreement on the "hosting." If so, then the document would control whether you could seek a refund. If not, then you are essetentially going to have to show the verbal agreement contemplated and authorized the situation of a change of host, that will likely be difficult.

Law Office of Gregory M. Kash 434 Fayetteville Street, Suite 2350 Raleigh, NC 27601