North Carolina  |  Family Law

Grandparent's Right and Visitation in North Carolina

I have two grandchildren who live in Northeastern North Carolina. I live in Virginia. My son, the childrens father, died in September of 2004 at the age of 22. He was not married to the mother. I have only seen the children once since my son died. I am very concerned and greatly desire to spend time with them. I have tried to call the mother of the children and she has not responded. Considering this will be taking place in North Carolina, I would like to know what is the overall stance on grandparent's right and visitation in North Carolina and other states if pertinent.

I feel that my grandchildren are losing touch with their paternal side of the family since my son's death. I feel that in the best interest of the children, they should not lose touch with their paternal family because he died before they ever knew him.

Also, I would like to know what legal action would be necessary.

Thank You.