Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If my husband got an inheridence while we are still married, am I entitled to any part of it (cash or land) if we seperate and divorce?

Brian Jones The Law Office of Brian P. Jones

No. You may be entitled to some appreciation on real property IF you actively participated in enhancing the value of that property. Other than in very specific circumstances (for example, the inheritance or bequest was commingled with other marital assets, and even then not necessarily) you do not have any claim to those.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina