North Carolina  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/15/08, 8:35 pm

I-551 Stamp

I am a Citizen that is petitioning my husband of 5 years. We received a letter in March'08 to be present at an interview in Charlotte, NC. We gathered all of the required documentation to provide. Once there, and called in with the Immigration officer, we began our interview process. She was satisfied with all of the information, and tangible proof, we provided. She asked my husband for his passport in order to stamp his I-551 and that meant we were approved. Unfortunately, my husband's passport had been expired for some time and she could not stamp it. What do we do? He works and it will cause heartache and financial stress if he looses his job as the company has strict rules about what documentation you must present in order to remain employed. Please help. Since we have not received a letter from USCIS and the status is still pending, we are unsure of what we should do at this point. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/16/08, 12:05 am by Glen Prior

Re: I-551 Stamp

You can get an infopass at and go to the immigration building with your husband with this pass and ask the officer to give your husband temporary proof of U.S. residency. You will then know if your husband was approved . If the immigration service is waiting for fingerprint results and name check results, it means that the application has not yet been approved , and if so, then he can apply for work authorization while waiting. Glen (a free service)

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Pacific Law, Inc., P.S. 3700 Pacific Hwy E. #306 Fife, WA 98424

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search