Ohio  |  Business Law

Changing Job Description

I am a nurse. My job along with my fellow nurses on the unit were hired with a job description that stated we have to work every other weekend. They circulated a petition seeking people that would like to work every 3rd weekend and of course 99% of the staff sign up. Now overwhelmed with the about of people responding that decided to make only nurses hired before 1999 eligle. Can they do this? Isn't this discrimination?

Answered on: 1/10/07, 7:12 pm by Shalem Shem-Tov

Re: Changing Job Description

From your description it seems that this is not discriminatory. There is nothing illegal about an employer deciding to give certain benefits (in this case the opportunity to work a third weekend) based on seniority. That is, it can decide to give the people who worked there the longest the benefit, while not giving the benefit to people who were hired more recently (in this case after 1999).

Having said that, your employment contract MAY prevent them from doing that.

The Shem-Tov Law Firm, Inc. 5940 Lindley Avenue Encino, CA 91316