Ohio  |  DUI Law

My wife got a D.U.I. and child endangerment in front of her mother's house blocks from my home. I was at home with my others children when this all happened. The police had my wife's mother bring me to her arresting location took my drivers license never gave it back. Told me to walk home as they put my wife's mother in their squad car without my knowledge drove to my house and they had her mother open the door to my home to search it with no search warrant or me the home owners knowledge or concept. Is this possible?

Answered on: 10/19/13, 9:24 pm by Eric Willison

In Ohio, it is certainly possible, but the conduct you describe by the police would violate your rights under the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution. This would require suppression of any evidence such police discovered and would open them up to suit under certain civil rights laws.

Law Office of Eric E. Willison 625 City Park Avenue Columbus, OH 43206