Pennsylvania  |  Entertainment Law

My daughter was told it was mandatory to sell 20 NFP savings cards ($20.00 each) or she would have to run extra laps at practice? There is no buyout program and I can't afford to buy more than 2 of them. We've sold 7, but between the football team and the cheer squad there is approx 80 students selling these cards. Plus with the ecomomy the way it is, 20 dollars is a lot of money to spend just to save 10% at Rita Italian Ice. Is there a law against this type of fund raising tactic?

Answered on: 9/15/09, 12:15 pm by Roger Traversa

You asked about being asked to run laps instead of selling merchandise was illegal.

I think your kid should just get those running shoes ready.

I think most people think it is a lousy tactic to ask kids to sell merchandise to support their school activities. But it is well accepted. You may want to ask your town if their is a permit needed to sell in your town, if so then the school has created a conundrum as neither it nor the student will have such permits.

There are folks who think selling through school builds sales skills and is an important part of an education. There are more folks that think that idea is bunk.

But no, there is nothing inherently illegal about requiring students to sell are run. It's almost too bad that it's too late for your child to drop all 20 of those cards at the coach's feet and just start jogging right away. It is a choice.

Regards,

Roger

Arjont Group (Law Office of Roger Traversa) P.O. Box 1932 Philadelphia, PA 19105