Pennsylvania  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/26/13, 6:42 am

How can I take my ex boyfriend to court to determine possession of a vehicle in both of our names. He took the vehicle and became estranged after I filed for child support and received custody of our child. He is now behind on payments and has changed the payment agreements and registration somehow without my signature or authorization. I will pay for the car if I have it or am willing to do a buyout or signoff for him to do it, but I need to know the protocal to get him to court since he's not willing to answer my calls to work it out civilly. I'm not sure which area of law this is under or if I will need an attorney to help with this.

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/07/13, 3:55 pm by Debra Rainey

I would suggest first that you locate the sales document, or the finance document that the two of you signed when you purchased the vehicle, in an effort to locate an account number. Next, contact the finance company and verify that you are no longer liable for the car. If the answer is no, and you are no longer on the hook financially let it go, let him deal with it.

If on the other hand you are still on the hook financially for the car, send him a letter demanding that he either buy you out or let you pay him your portion. When you send the letter, make it certified return receipt, keep it business just about the car, give him a deadline within which he needs to respond. If he fails to respond within the deadline you set then reach out to a consumer attorney to initiate legal proceedings.

Hopefully this was helpful. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to email me

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

The Law Office of Debra D. Rainey The Land Title Building, 100 S. Broad St. Philadelphia, PA 19110

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search