Texas  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/02/13, 3:26 pm

My brother and I inherited a house 50/50 which I have been living in for 16 years prior to the inheritance.What are his legal rights? Can he make me move or charge me rent or what? I am worried!

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/03/13, 10:58 am by Joseph A. McDermott, III

He can't charge you rent, but he has as much right to occupy the house as you do. You're going to have to make some kind of deal:

sell or rent out the house and split the money

you buy him out

he buys you out

Or, he could let you stay rent-free -- but you'll have to work it out.

If you can't work it out, one of you can ask a court to partition the property, which in the case of a house and lot, probably means ordering a sale and dividing the money.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney at Law 3100 Richmond Avenue, Suite 403 Houston, TX 77098

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search