Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Texas


I'm the seller of the pre-owned home. The buyer and I have agreed and signed a Texas Resale Contract. Now, the buyer want to terminate this contract by replacing his own brother to be a new buyer on the contract and ask for his earnest money back. Since the time has passed for the 10 days for the termination option, then in this case, is the buyer allowed to change the contract to other buyer and get his earnest money back? What is the protections for the seller?

Please help and give me some advice.



Asked on 12/13/12, 9:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph A. McDermott, III Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You might let him assign his contract to the brother, but I wouldn't release the earnest money. Instead, the brother can reimburse your original buyer for the earnest money.

Read more
Answered on 12/13/12, 2:27 pm
Nile Copeland Copeland Law Group, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I would need to look at the contract to make sure everything is in order.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/12, 6:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now