Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Virginia

Four people commit insurance fraud should one person be responsible for total pay back

Sam Moore Law Office of Samuel C. Moore, PLLC

It depends on the specific facts and circumstances of the case--I know that is probably not what you were hoping to hear. You should probably set up a consultation with a local attorney to have a confidential discussion of the specific facts in your situation.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I agree with Mr. Moore.

Note that, when two or more people jointly do something wrongful, they will often be held jointly and severally liable as a result. That means the plaintiff can demand that any one of them pay the entire amount. If the first one can't pay the entire amount, the plaintiff can seek what remains from any of the others.

The law allows this because otherwise the plaintiff would have to work too hard to recover his damages from the people who already victimized him. It is more just to make the wrongdoers work out their respective shares amongst themselves than to make the victim deal with that issue.

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Virginia