Legal Question in Construction Law in Virginia

I am a Construction contractor and I have a customer who has signed a contract presented to him for work he requested. My contracts state that I receive a specified (per contract) amount of money up front for materials with the balance for labor to be paid immediately upon completion. I have been working for this man 5 years and my contracts have always been presented the same way. This time however, the customer signs the contract but will not pay the $5,700 up front for materials. I am a licensed and insured contractor with a very good reputation. This customer does owe me $800.00 at this time for services rendered. Am I able to get what is owed and sue for breech of contract? How would you proceed?

Asked on 5/08/13, 2:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you could sue this alleged defaulter if there's no other way to settle

the matter, but in addition to the $800.00, you will want to determine

what other compensatory and/or consequential damages (if any) that you might

also claim in your lawsuit resulting from the breach.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 7:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Construction Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now