Virginia  |  Consumer Law

I won a laptop in a raffle. I took the laptop to the store to exchange for another model. I asked them to process it as gift return, which according to their policy is for store credit (which I would then use to purchase different laptop from them) they instead refunded the original buyer on their credit card. They took the laptop and told me to contact the original buyer (whom I don't know. The store actually violated that person's privacy and gave me their email address and made me write to them) the store says its my responsibility to sort it out with that person and if they don't want to help then I am out of luck. Basically the store took my property and paid some one else for it and told me to fix their mistake. I feel like they stole from me. From my perspective the store should settle with me and then try and get the money tht they sent by mistake from that person.

The other person does not have a right to keep the refund because they did not return property. So the store should be able to get their money back from them. But it should not be my responsibility to get it back. I did not make this mistake. The store did. Is there anything I can do?