Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

I own a home in Richmond Va. Years ago my daughter was a 19 yr old Mom struggling with small children so I let her live free in a second home I own. She has lived free there for the last 25 yrs. She has never paid rent, upkeep or taxes nor insurance. She did paid to fixed a few things that she said were broken (not sure they were) andi never asked her to do the repairs nor was I asked before she chose unskilled people to things and then produced fake bills with large amounts for me to pay her back. I am now retired and my income has shrunk. In Jan. 2013 I asked her and her 20 year old daughter to give me $300 a month to help since they are living free with full time jobs. Each month she pays me some amount ( about $125) but never what I asked for. There is no set date to pay and no written agreement, but she makes me give her a receipt for whatever she gives me. I told her I wanted them to move so that I can rent or sell the home. She has changed the locks and says I cannot put them out. She says a rental or real estate person cannot come see the home until she is there and we must ask her to get in. She will not give me a key. Is she a tenant or an authorized user? How can I get her and her daughter out of my home?

Asked on 4/30/13, 8:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Give her formal written notice that she has 30 days to move out by a date certain. Then file the warrant for unlawful detainer with your local general district court to evict her if she still doesn't move.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 6:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88563 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now