Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

I own a home in Richmond Va. Years ago my daughter was a 19 yr old Mom struggling with small children so I let her live free in a second home I own. She has lived free there for the last 25 yrs. She has never paid rent, upkeep or taxes nor insurance. She did paid to fixed a few things that she said were broken (not sure they were) andi never asked her to do the repairs nor was I asked before she chose unskilled people to things and then produced fake bills with large amounts for me to pay her back. I am now retired and my income has shrunk. In Jan. 2013 I asked her and her 20 year old daughter to give me $300 a month to help since they are living free with full time jobs. Each month she pays me some amount ( about $125) but never what I asked for. There is no set date to pay and no written agreement, but she makes me give her a receipt for whatever she gives me. I told her I wanted them to move so that I can rent or sell the home. She has changed the locks and says I cannot put them out. She says a rental or real estate person cannot come see the home until she is there and we must ask her to get in. She will not give me a key. Is she a tenant or an authorized user? How can I get her and her daughter out of my home?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Give her formal written notice that she has 30 days to move out by a date certain. Then file the warrant for unlawful detainer with your local general district court to evict her if she still doesn't move.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms