Washington  |  Construction Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/07/09, 1:54 am

In 2006 a sub-contractor did some work on my home. The work was shoddy, the crew was rude and I was generally displeased. I talked to the contractor and told him that I was unhappy with the work his sub did and that I considered our contract open for renegotiation. After several months of getting the telephone run-around I stopped trying to get an invoice out of the contractor. I was very clear that I wanted the invoice so that I could take it to attorney and we could begin negotiating my discount. It's been three years and I haven't heard a word, so I'm considering the work to be free. Where do I stand? Can I have a lien placed on my home without ever getting an invoice? Can they charge interest for non-payment?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/19/09, 1:24 pm by P. Jayson Thibodaux

A short answer to your question: You can check to see if the contractor filed a mechanics lien against your property for the work performed. You can check this with the county recorder or even online depending on your county. You could still be exposed to a claim for the work performed or subject to collections and interest.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux 116 Avenue A, Ste. B Snohomish, WA 98290

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search