Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California


I am a singer and I've written a number of songs. Due to finances I don't have funds to copyright them all with the Library of Congress.

Does the "Poor Man's Copyright" really exist. (Where you can send a copy to yourself or someone else as proof). Search the web..some people say yes and some say no.

Thank you so much..

Asked on 7/31/15, 10:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Mitchell Interaction Law

Thanks to international treaty foolishness, you now get copyright protection whether you want it or not, automatically, as soon as you create your work. This means that even your question here is copyrighted, as is my answer. But copyright registration still has value if you think you might ever want to enforce your copyright. And, you can register online for $35 instead of the $85 for a paper form.

See Copyright Office Circular 1 for basic information, at

Read more
Answered on 8/02/15, 10:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California