Legal Question in Family Law in California

what is involved in a non agency adoption. My ex and i have a notarized transfer of custody from the birth mother (the exs sister) but its not enough to get the birth certificate.

where do i go from here. Thanks

Asked on 9/23/21, 11:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You will still need an agency and probably a lawyer. Even if the child is not placed by an agency, California requires a home study by a licensed agency, along with a lot of other paperwork, background checks, etc., that an agency can help you navigate. You also will have to go to court, not necessarily in person but in filings and either in person or through a lawyer, because there is no adoption until the court decrees it.

Read more
Answered on 9/25/21, 7:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California