Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

my fsther got his greencard recently.i came to the usa 4 months back on f1 visa. can my father sponser me for green card?i have come across people saying that it is not possible to change from f1 to green card even if your parent is sponsering you and you lose your status and become ineligible to stay in usa. is this true?

Asked on 1/14/14, 2:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Medina Law Office of Charles Medina

Your father can petition you. However, the waiting time will be substantially longer if you are over 21.

We suggest you to consult with an immigration attorney.

You may visit our website at for our featured cases that cover the most complicated areas of immigration law. Our telephone number is 714-786-6835 and email is [email protected] Thank you.

The above reply is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/14, 3:14 pm
Bill Klein Law Office of Bill Travis Klein

Generally, If you came here as a student you most can not stay here and get a green card in the U.S. if you are an adult. You would have to go back to your country and process when a visa becomes available. You would most likely have trouble getting a new visa after your Father sponsors you. There may be other options depending on how your father received his green card and how long ago a petition was submitted for him as well as when he submitted his green card application. Talk with an Immigration Attorney about the details of your case.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/14, 3:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California