Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

What do I have to do to see my father's will? My sister was executor and had poa. I trusted her and never asked. There was no probate and nothing filed Now she is saying half the house I've been living since before his death is hers and I have to sell so she can get her money. I can't afford to buy her out. Her lawyer sent a letter and contract for me to sign a few days ago and states closing date as Dec. 12! It's a 3000 sq ft house with a huge separate workshop. I'm 71 with health issues I need more time to pack. A friend told me to view the will but when I called and asked his lawyer she said I have to get permission? From who?

Asked on 11/10/22, 12:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You need to hire an attorney. Your attorney needs to investigate for you. If you own half the house, they cannot force you out without filing suit against you for partition and the house is then subject to sale to someone else. Dont sign anything you dont understand or dont want to without speaking to an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/22, 12:25 pm
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

If there was no probate, then she has no authority over the estate. Is she an owner of the house.? Retain counsel to investigate this matter.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/22, 1:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida